Monday, July 2, 2012

The uBuntu Girl

In October 2009 a local, young lady from Eshowe, Sonja Kruse, decided to undertake en epic journey across South Africa, visiting over 114 towns with nothing more than R100 in her pocket. 


On the 27th July, at the Holy Childhood School at Eshowe, Sonja will be giving a once off talk on her adventures and experiences, the event will be in a "Barnyard Theatre" style where you can bring your own picnic and drinks and enjoy an evening of fascinating story telling. Below is a excerpt from Sonja's Website and upcoming book "The uBuntu Girl" to wet your appetite!

"Have you ever had a dream that is so powerful, so clear and so consuming, that it drags you away from your perceptions, into a new reality? That’s what happened to me. I had a dream. In the dream I saw myself being called to the road, carrying a backpack, a camera, a phone and a R100 and setting off on a country-wide ‘Ubuntu" tour.

My dream had no questions like: Why? How? What if? And no answers either. But the dream had an ending - there was a book on the stands, a book telling of my incredible year long journey of discovery, telling of the 150 families who cared for me, telling of the extraordinary diversity of our country and telling of the reality of "Ubuntu" in South Africa.

So, in October 2009. I quit my job, gave my car away and set off with a backpack, a camera, a phone, and a R100.

On my own, on foot - and by thumb!

Without a tent, a sleeping bag and bank card, but with a deep seated belief that ‘I am because we are’; with faith in our humanity; with faith in our sense of Ubuntu; and with faith in our country’s journey of forgiveness; I set off from the outskirts of East London (I was there for my sister’s wedding).

My name is Sonja Kruse, some people call me the UBUNTU girl.

One year later saw my safe return after visiting all 9 provinces, stopping in 114 of our towns, big and small and staying with 150 families, representing 16 different cultures, who took me in, cared for me and made me feel at home.

From Townhouses to Townships; from Shacks to Millionaires; from Pensioners to Students; from the ANC Youth League to the AWB; from Hunters to Vegetarians; from Long Drops to Bidets: from Christians to Muslims to Rastafarians and from Curries to Chicken Feet – I experienced the joy of them all!"

For reservations to this event, please contact Gayleen on 035 474 1225

No comments:

Post a Comment